Quick Game Recap
In a showdown that left fans on the edge of their seats, the Calgary Stampeders pulled off a stunning comeback to beat the Edmonton Elks 35-31 at McMahon Stadium. Though the Elks held a 31-20 lead with just over 5 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Stampeders’ QB Jake Maier orchestrated two touchdown drives to seal the win. The last-minute heroics soured an otherwise stellar night for Edmonton’s Tre Ford.
Team Breakdown: Edmonton Elks
- Tre Ford (QB): Ford showcased his dual-threat capabilities with 14 completions on 23 attempts for 137 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 135 yards but couldn’t secure the win for his team.
- Kyran Moore (WR): Moore threw a trick-play touchdown and caught 3 of 4 targets for 21 yards.
- Steven Dunbar Jr (WR): Caught two pivotal touchdowns, proving to be a reliable red-zone target.
- Kai Gray (CB) and Mark McLaurin (LB): Both had 8 tackles, though Gray also contributed with a knockdown.
- A.C. Leonard (DT): Made his presence felt with 4 tackles and a sack.
Team Breakdown: Calgary Stampeders
- Jake Maier (QB): Completed 27 of 34 attempts for 315 yards and also scored a rushing touchdown.
- Ka’Deem Carey (RB): Contributed 55 rushing yards and proved to be instrumental in the Stampeders’ comeback.
- Markeith Ambles (WR): Was Maier’s primary target, catching 7 of 10 passes for 76 yards.
- Micah Awe (LB): Had 8 tackles and played a key role in keeping the Elks’ offense in check.
- Tre Roberson (CB): Contributed 5 tackles, solidifying the Stampeders’ secondary.
- Kobe Williams(CB): Made 4 tackles and had a QB sack.
The comeback from the Stampeders will undoubtedly have repercussions in the CFL standings. While Calgary improves to 4-8, the Elks drop to 2-10. As the season progresses, both teams will be eager to improve their CFL scores in the rematch scheduled for Saturday, September 9.
Big Announcement: CFL Unveils Free Live Streaming Platforms
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App