Ottawa Redblacks (1-5) vs. Edmonton Elks (2-4)
Tuesday, September 28th at 4:30 pm MST at TD Place Stadium.
The Edmonton Elks travel to Ottawa in week 9 for a matchup against the Redblacks. This should be an interesting matchup as both teams have been struggling and Ottawa’s only win came against the Elks in an ugly Week 1 game. Edmonton has been very inconsistent this season and only has 2 wins so far on the year.
Tuesday’s matchup is a must-win game for both of these teams whose playoff hopes are already looking bleak.
The Redblacks are coming fresh off a 5-game losing streak and currently sit at the bottom of the standings with a record of 1-5. Ottawa will be without their top 2 quarterbacks in Matt Nichols and Dominique Davis, who are both on the 6-game injured list. In their place, Ottawa will be going with 2 rookie quarterbacks in Caleb Evans who is listed as the starter, and Taryn Christion who is listed as the backup. Neither have ever dressed for a CFL game before.
Ottawa’s defense started the season strong when these teams first met but they have not been able to keep offenses contained since week 1. This will be a difficult matchup for a banged-up Redblacks team that could use a few more weapons on both sides of the ball.
The Elks are coming off of a loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and have had a very inconsistent season thus far. Sitting with a 2-4 record, they’ve had no issues racking up stats, but scoring and finishing games have sometimes been a struggle.
Starting quarterback Trevor Harris will miss his 2nd game in a row with a neck injury, and quarterback Taylor Cornelius will start in his place once again. Running back James Wilder Jr is currently 2nd in the league in rushing yards (499 yards) and will look to keep his great season going against Ottawa.
With defensive end Kwaku Boateng returning to the Elks lineup from injury and this underwhelming Redblacks team, this game is Edmontons to lose.
- Abdul Kanneh – DB – Hamstring – OUT
- Sherrod Baltimore – DB – Quadricep – OUT
- Timothy Flanders – RB – Hip – OUT
- Jordan Smallwood – WR – Hamstring – OUT
- De’Chavon Hayes – DB – Quadricep – OUT
- Stansly Maponga – DL – Chest – OUT
- Anthony Coombs – WR – Hamstring – OUT
- Dan Basambombo – DB – Hamstring – OUT
- Cleyon Laing – DL – Non-Injury Related – OUT
- Reshaan Davis – DL – Ankle – OUT
- Stefan Charles – DL – Foot – OUT
- Matt Nichols – QB – Shoulder/Neck – OUT
- Dominique Davis – QB – Hamstring – OUT
- David Beard – OL – COVID Protocol – OUT
- Mathieu Betts – DL – Leg – OUT
- Alain Pae – DL – Hamstring – OUT
- Trevor Harris – QB – Neck – OUT
- Brian Walker – DB – Healthy Scratch – OUT
- De’Ondre Wesley – OL – Shoulder Limited – OUT
CFL News Hub Channel Trailer – Your News Source For The Canadian Football League
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App