Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5-1) vs. Edmonton Elks (2-3)
Saturday, September 18, 2021, at 6:45 pm MST at Commonwealth Stadium
The Blue Bombers travel to Edmonton in week 7 for what should be an interesting matchup against the Elks. The bombers have been off to an excellent start, currently holding the best record in the league at 5-1 and looking very tough to beat. On the other hand, the Elks have gotten off to a rocky start with a record of 2-3. The Elks have been able to rack up stats no problem, but finding the endzone and winning games have sometimes been an issue.
Despite Edmonton’s inconsistencies, both of these teams have very talented rosters, and while the Bombers are favored in this matchup, the Elks should not be underestimated.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The Bombers have been on a roll, with their only loss coming to the Toronto Argonauts. Quarterback Zach Collaros is currently ranked 2nd in the league in passing yards (1,479 yards) and is tied with Montreal quarterback Vernon Adams Jr for 1st in the league in passing touchdowns (9 touchdowns). Additionally, quarterback Sean McGuire leads the league in rushing touchdowns (5 touchdowns), and since returning from injury, running back Andrew Harris has rushed for 256 yards in the last 3 games.
On the defensive side of the ball, defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat is currently tied as the leagues’ leader in sacks (5 sacks) and is at the top of the leaderboards for forced fumbles (4 forced fumbles). Defensive lineman Willie Jefferson has also had an excellent season for the Bombers so far. He’s currently tied for 2nd in the league in sacks (4 sacks), with him and Bombers defensive back Mike Jones tied for 2nd in the league in forced fumbles (2 forced fumbles). Additionally, defensive backs Brandon Alexander and Deatrick Nichols each have 2 interceptions on the season.
With the Blue Bomber rolling like they are now, it will be difficult for any team to stop them.
The Elks have had a very inconsistent start to the season. Some games they look like they could be one of the league’s best, while other weeks they look like one of the league’s worst. Edmonton has had no issues racking up stats, but finding the endzone and finishing games has been a problem at times.
On Thursday, quarterback Trevor Harris was added to the 6-game injured list and will miss the game versus the Blue Bombers. Quarterback Taylor Cornelius is expected to get the start versus the Bombers on Saturday, who previously played under head coach Jaime Elizondo while signed with the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers in 2020. Running back James Wilder Jr leads the league in rushing yards (428 yards), and wide receiver Derel Walker is currently ranked number 7 on the receiving yards list (333 yards).
The Elks defense has played well so far this season, but when the offense can’t find the endzone, there is only so much the defense can do. Defensive lineman Jake Ceresna leads the team in sacks (3 sacks), while linebacker Nyles Morgan leads the team in tackles (26 total tackles).
While the Bombers are 6.5 point favorites, if the Elks occasionally explosive offense comes to play, this should turn out to be a fun matchup. If the Elks show up and their recent struggles continue, I’d expect a 1 sided affair from Winnipeg.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- RB – Andrew Harris – Calf – Questionable
- FB – Mike Miller – Hip – Questionable
- WR – Rasheed Bailey – Knee – Questionable
- LB – Kyrie Wilson – Hip Flexor – Out
- DL – Willie Jefferson – Ankle – Questionable
- DL – Steven Richardson – Foot – Out
- DL – Jake Thomas – Hip – Questionable
- DL – Jackson Jeffcoat – Hip – Questionable
- DL – Noah Hallett – Knee – Out
- WR – Nic Demski – Hip – Questionable
- WR – Drew Wolitarsky – Knee – Questionable
- WR – Darvin Adams – Shoulder – Questionable
- OL – Michael Couture – Knee – Questionable
- OL – Geoff Gray – NIR – Questionable
- LB – Jontrell Rocquemore – Hip – Questionable
- DB – Nick Taylor – Ankle – Questionable
- DB – Noah Hallett – Knee – Questionable
- DL – Kwaku Boateng – Leg – Out
- FB – Tanner Green – Shoulder – Out
- RB – Terry Williams – Healthy Scratch – Out
- DB – Brian Walker – Healthy Scratch – Questionable
- LB – Malik Tyne – Hamstring – Out
- QB – Trevor Harris – Neck – Out
CFL News Hub Channel Trailer – Your News Source For The Canadian Football League
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App