- Toronto Argonauts secure a 16-2 season record, tying the league record set by the 1989 Edmonton team.
- Argos’ quarterback Cameron Dukes steps up with 317 passing yards and a touchdown.
- Ottawa REDBLACKS’ receiver Justin Hardy and running back Devonte Williams hit 1,000-yard season milestones.
The Toronto Argonauts finished the 2023 regular season on a high note, defeating the Ottawa REDBLACKS 27-22. The win allowed the Argos to tie the CFL’s season record of 16-2, originally set by the 1989 Edmonton team. Led by quarterback Cameron Dukes, who filled in for starter Chad Kelly, the Argos showcased a balanced offense and sturdy defense to clinch the game. On the other side, REDBLACKS’ quarterback Dustin Crum and receiver Justin Hardy put up valiant efforts but ultimately fell short.
Toronto Argonauts: A Balanced Performance
Cameron Dukes demonstrated his passing capabilities, completing 22 out of 34 attempts for 317 yards and a touchdown, albeit with two interceptions. The ground game was relatively subdued, with Dukes also leading the charge with 8 carries for 39 yards. Deonta McMahon had an off-day with 7 carries but lost a yard, though he did score a touchdown.
- Cameron Dukes, QB: 22/34, 317 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT
- David Ungerer III, WR: 6 REC, 88 YDS
- Dejon Brissett, WR: 1 REC, 61 YDS, 1 TD
The Argonauts’ defense stepped up with key plays throughout the game. Adarius Pickett led the team with eight total tackles, including one tackle for loss. Mason Pierce had four tackles and an interception that led to points.
- Adarius Pickett, CB: 8 Tackles, 1 TFL
- Mason Pierce, CB: 4 Tackles, 1 INT
Ottawa REDBLACKS: Promising Efforts in Loss
Dustin Crum put up decent numbers, completing 22 of 35 passes for 273 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. The REDBLACKS also had a bright spot in running back Devonte Williams, who ran for 51 yards on 13 carries.
- Dustin Crum, QB: 22/35, 273 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT
- Justin Hardy, WR: 6 REC, 119 YDS, 1 TD
The REDBLACKS were competitive on defense as well. Damon Webb led the way with eight tackles, while Alonzo Addae contributed with two interceptions, albeit with minimal impact on the CFL scores.
- Damon Webb, CB: 8 Tackles
- Alonzo Addae, CB: 2 INTs
In summary, the Argonauts have set themselves up nicely for the playoffs with a strong season record, topping the CFL standings. Both teams had moments of brilliance, but the Argonauts were more consistent in capitalizing on their opportunities, leading to the win.
Big Announcement: CFL Unveils Free Live Streaming Platforms
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App