As the 110th Grey Cup approaches, Week 17 holds significant implications for the playoff landscape in both the West and East Divisions. Teams are jostling for the most advantageous positions, with BC eyeing home-field advantage and Montreal just a win away from cementing their postseason berth.
West Division Playoff Outcomes
- BC’s Home Aspiration:
- A win for BC Lions will lock in their home playoff date.
- Hamilton’s Impact:
- A Hamilton victory nullifies any crossover aspirations for a fourth-place team in the West Division.
- Double Win Scenario:
- If both Hamilton and Saskatchewan secure wins, the Edmonton Elks will be officially out of playoff contention.
East Division Playoff Scenarios
- Montreal’s Pathway:
- A win for the Montreal Alouettes clinches their spot in the playoffs.
- Hamilton’s Dual Role:
- A win for Hamilton also solidifies their own playoff berth if Montreal wins as well.
- Three-Way Outcome:
- Wins by Montreal, Hamilton, and Saskatchewan spell the end for both Edmonton and Ottawa in terms of playoff hopes.
- Ottawa’s Stumbling Block:
- An Ottawa loss, combined with a Saskatchewan win, eliminates crossover chances for a fourth-place team in the East Division.
Already in the Bag
- The Toronto Argonauts already clinched the East Division title for the third consecutive season in Week 15.
- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers secured their seventh straight playoff spot in Week 14.
- BC confirmed their postseason place for the second year running in Week 16.
Crossover Rule Explained
Should the fourth-place team in one division have more points than the third-place team in the opposite division, the fourth-place team will cross over to take the third-place team’s spot in playoff seeding. The crossover team will then compete against the second-place team in that division’s semi-final.
Week 17 Game Lineup
- Friday, September 29
- 8 p.m. ET: Toronto at Winnipeg
- 10:30 p.m. ET: Saskatchewan at BC
- Saturday, September 30
- 4 p.m. ET: Montreal at Ottawa
- 7 p.m. ET: Calgary at Hamilton
This high-stakes Week 17 is primed to be one of the most crucial weeks in the 2023 CFL season, with teams aiming to seal their fate in the playoffs. Make sure you’re tuned in for the action.
Big Announcement: CFL Unveils Free Live Streaming Platforms
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App