Ok Edmonton Elks fans, time to stop stressing about the kicking position for the 2022 season. Today, the Edmonton Elks have officially announced the signing of American Kicker, Sergio Castillo. The five-year CFL veteran last played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers during their 2021 Grey Cup Championship season.
The Texas born kicker, spent time kicking in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons (2014) and the New York Jets (2020). He has had CFL stints with the BC Lions, Ottawa Redblacks, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In the CFL, kickers are typically Canadian (National Players), but with the departure of Sean Whyte, the Elks needed a reliable and proven kicker. In the 2021 Grey Cup, Castillo was five for five on field goals. Throughout his CFL kicking career, he has averaged 44.4 yards per punt and has made 86% of field goal attempts.
Castillo will join and compete against the following previously signed kickers during the 2022 training camp which starts in May:
- Global Kicker, Wihan van der Reit who hails from South Africa, looks like a super-sized kicker. 6’1″ 220 lbs.
- National Kicker, Gregory Hutchins who hails from Nova Scotia. He has not played a CFL game yet, so expect him to be active on the practice roster as insurance for Castillo.
Paint the Town Green on St. Patrick’s Day
The Elks continue to expand their marketing strategies lead by President/CEO, Victor Cui. To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, the Elks have a one-day promotion where fans can buy a “Green Seat Pack for $499.” Elks fans are filling the city with Green and Gold in anticipation of the ’22 season! The package will include:
- Silver seat, upgrade from Bronze price
- Uncrested 2021 Home Jersey
- Green & Gold locker room tour
- Post Game photo op on the field
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply
CFL News Hub Channel Trailer – Your News Source For The Canadian Football League
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App
March 14, 2022 at 4:15 pm
I want an Edmonton Eskimos jersey the I way one . Please and thank you that would be nice
March 14, 2022 at 4:23 pm