Week 9 of the CFL season is gearing up for an exciting showdown as the Montreal Alouettes face off against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Tim Hortons Field. Both teams are looking to build momentum as they head into the second half of the season. Taylor Powell gets the start at QB for the Ticats. Here’s everything you need to know about this critical Eastern Division matchup.
The Alouettes and Tiger-Cats are meeting for the second time this year, following a game in which the Alouettes dominated the Tiger-Cats with a 38-12 victory back in June.
Montreal is coming off a win against Calgary that snapped a 3-game losing streak. Meanwhile, the Tiger-Cats have found their rhythm, winning 3 of their last 4 games after a shaky 0-3 start to the season.
With Hamilton showing signs of improvement and Montreal eager to prove their last win was not a fluke, this game promises to be a tightly contested battle that could have serious playoff implications.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats Preview
Hamilton’s recent wins demonstrate a resurgence in form, and they’ll be looking to avenge their earlier loss to Montreal. The Tiger-Cats have been impressive on defense, allowing an average of 18 points per game in their last 4 victories. Their offense will need to step up against Montreal’s strong defense.
- Date/Location: Saturday, August 5, Tim Hortons Field
- Kickoff Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
- Channel: TSN, CBS Network (USA)
- Streaming: CFL +
- Odds: Alouettes -2.5, Tiger-Cats +2.5
- Over/Under: 45
- Moneyline: Alouettes -145, Tiger-Cats +125
Team Injury Report/Game Status
- DL Mason Bennett (hamstring) out
- DL Jarrod Hewitt (knee) questionable
- WR Anthony Johnson (hamstring) out
- LB Vosean Joseph (ankle) out
- DL Jonathan Kongbo (not football-related) questionable
- FB Myles Manalo (knee) out
- RB Tyreik McAllister (ankle) questionable
- QB Bo Levi Mitchell (leg) out
- OL Tyrone Riley (knee, hamstring) out
- OL Kyle Saxelid (knee) questionable
- LB Fraser Sopik (shoulder) out
- OL Chris Van Zeyl (non football-related) questionable
- OL Cedric Wilcots Jr. (shoulder) out
- OL Coulter Woodmansey (shoulder) questionable
While both teams have some injury concerns, the depth chart will provide opportunities for up-and-coming players to make a name for themselves. Look for both coaches to make strategic adjustments to accommodate these injuries and keep their playoff hopes alive.
Expect a closely fought game as both teams have much at stake. Hamilton’s recent form and home-field advantage may tip the scales in their favor:
Prediction: Tiger-Cats 23, Alouettes 19
Betting on the Tiger-Cats at +125 moneyline could offer great value. Against the spread, Hamilton’s recent performance as underdogs suggests this game will be tightly contested, and passing on the spread may be wise. If you’re looking for a total points bet, the history between these two teams leans towards the over, but Hamilton’s recent defensive prowess might make this a lower-scoring affair.
This East Division clash is set to be one of the highlights of CFL Week 9, and fans from both sides will be watching closely to see which team emerges with a vital victory in their quest for playoff glory.
Big Announcement: CFL Unveils Free Live Streaming Platforms
Get Alerts & Stay ConnectedCFL iPhone App
CFL Android App